My Book Rating System

My book rating system is based on 5 stars. The book must be rated at least 3 stars for a review.

3 Stars: Good story, good plot, good writing.

4 Stars: I was wowed, but something about the story fell short of perfection.

5 Stars: I was either drooling, on the edge of my seat, or falling in love.

If you would like me to review your book, please contact me at 00ibitz@charter.net.

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Book Review: Dead Radiance, by T.G. Ayer

Dead Radiance
T.G. Ayer


Initial Thoughts: Got me going!!!

My Rating: 4 Stars!
Summary:
Bryn Halbrook had always seen the glow. But it is only when her best friend dies that she discovers the meaning of those beautiful golden auras — Death. Alone, lost in the foster system, she struggles to understand who she is and why she was cursed with the ability to see the soon-to-be-dead.

The new foster kid, Aidan, isn’t helping any. Mr. Perfect seems to fit in no matter what, making her feel even more pathetic. But when his affections turn to her, Bryn finds him hard to resist. Impossible actually. A mystery himself, Aidan disappears, leaving behind a broken heart and a mysterious book that suggests Bryn might not be entirely human.

Bryn stands at the threshold of a journey of discovery. Will destiny help her find herself, find her purpose and her place in a world in which she’d never belonged?

My Thoughts:
Okay, so I admit, when I first started the book, I didn't think I was going to like it. I was a bit confused with some of the present/past bouncing, and sometimes I didn't know if we were in the present or the past or a flashback or what, and all I could think was, "Oh boy, is the whole book gonna be like this?"

Well, it wasn't. And it was well worth getting through that rocky start.

So you have Bryn, a likeable foster kid robotically moseying through her days, watching her best friend, Josh, glow and then die, and then dealing with the brunt of the other girls who blame her for (a) being Josh's friend and (b) being alive. 

Those bitches! 

Anyhoo, along comes Aiden, sexily dark and mysterious with an obvious Einstein-sized brain and a seeming attraction to Bryn. Gotta love these 2 characters.

Gotta love the plot, too. So Bryn's life becomes inter-woven with Norse mythology. Valkryies. Asgard. Valhalla. King Odin. His wife, Frigga. Freya. And not let's forget that little devil, Loki. I'm not all familiar with Norse mythology, so this as all very interesting to me, and fresh. If there are boo boo's in the interweaving and retelling, I wouldn't know. And I certainly don't care. I was so caught up in the plot and the betrayals and the sniping and the mischievous antics that it was all good fun.

The end is cliff-hanger worthy. Definitely makes you want to pick up the next book and continue the story, which I shall do!

 

No comments: