My Book Rating System

My book rating system is based on 5 stars. The book must be rated at least 3 stars for a review.

3 Stars: Good story, good plot, good writing.

4 Stars: I was wowed, but something about the story fell short of perfection.

5 Stars: I was either drooling, on the edge of my seat, or falling in love.

If you would like me to review your book, please contact me at 00ibitz@charter.net.

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Book Review: Masquerade, by Cambria Hebert

Masquerade
Cambria Hebert


Initial Thoughts: Simple and Sweet

My Rating: 3 Stars
Synopsis:
I'm disfigured. Scarred. Ugly.
When I look in the mirror, I see a stranger. When I look over my shoulder, no one's there…
Yet I feel watched. Hunted. Afraid.
And then he tells me I’m beautiful.
He tells me I’m safe.
I believe him.
Until someone tries to kill me.
Secrets abound, danger is near, and still… my heart desires a boy with whiskey-colored eyes and far too many secrets.
Secrets that could cost me my life.
To stay alive I have to look deep, beneath the masks everyone wears, to find the truth.
To find myself.

My Thoughts:
The synopsis is tantalizing, yes? I agree! It made me want to pick up this book and read it. Which I did. Obviously.

The story is simply sweet. The romance is sweet. The plot is not complex. There are no red herrings. There are no dead end trails. It's just a straight-forward read, where you know who the good guys are and who the bad guys are.

There were, however, 2 surprises. I'm not going to reveal them, cuz that wouldn't be fair, but as I was reading, 2 thoughts began to emerge in my head.

1. I was worried that I was reading another werewolf shifter story (of which I'm not a fan)...it's not! 
2. I was worried that it was one of those hit-the-bible-over-your-head-cuz-I'm-gonna-preach-to-you stories...it's not!

Actually, the "demon" in this story is one I've never read about, so I was very intrigued and a little fascinated, I have to admit. I don't mind shifter stories where the shifting goes into monster form...I like monsters. Dark. Creepy. Dangerous. Those are my kind of shifters. This demon fits the bill. I would read more of this kind of bad guy.

What didn't quite pull me in were the characters. I liked them, but I wasn't swooning or falling in love or drooling. I like to do all 3 when I'm reading. When I analyzed my lack of swooni-ness (ok, if I make up a word, I get to make up the spelling, right?) I think it's because there isn't a lot of visceral description. I didn't feel what the characters were feeling, because I was told what the characters were feeling.

There was a lot of redundancy in the writing, some repetition, which slowed the pace for me.

This is a read for those who like sweet romance, but not necessarily dark paranormal.  

No comments: