My Book Rating System

My book rating system is based on 5 stars. The book must be rated at least 3 stars for a review.

3 Stars: Good story, good plot, good writing.

4 Stars: I was wowed, but something about the story fell short of perfection.

5 Stars: I was either drooling, on the edge of my seat, or falling in love.

If you would like me to review your book, please contact me at 00ibitz@charter.net.

Monday, June 25, 2012

Book Review: Wisdom, by Amanda Hocking


Wisdom (My Blood Approves)
Amanda Hocking


Wisdom is the 4th, and last, installment in the series, My Blood Approves.  For me, the book started out very, very slow. No one is happy, there's a lot of tension and stress between most of the characters, and the feeling you get from reading the book is heavy and lethargic. I'm sure that's the feeling Ms. Hocking was trying to convey, but boy, it was really a Debbie Downer!

I understood what motivated Alice, but I didn't understand her constant lying. It's not like the members of her 'family' aren't empathetic or are bullies who keep her locked up or that she couldn't talk people into just about anything, like she's done in the past; yet she was under the constant notion that she had to lie in order to be able to do what she wanted to do. Alice, quite frankly, was not like-able in this one.

Despite that, I thought the series ended how it should end. There is a surprise or two in store for the reader at the end. Is it a happy ending for everyone? No, it's not. But that's what makes the wrap-up read true. Life isn't always fair, and not everyone gets what they want in life.

None of the books that followed the first book, My Blood Approves, quite reached the magic of that first book, but overall, I liked the series.

No comments: