My Book Rating System

My book rating system is based on 5 stars. The book must be rated at least 3 stars for a review.

3 Stars: Good story, good plot, good writing.

4 Stars: I was wowed, but something about the story fell short of perfection.

5 Stars: I was either drooling, on the edge of my seat, or falling in love.

If you would like me to review your book, please contact me at 00ibitz@charter.net.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Book Review: Summer's Crossing, by Julie Kagawa

Summer's Crossing
An Iron Fey Novella
by Julie Kagawa

Robin Goodfellow, a prankster from the Summer Court, teams up with Prince Ash of the Winter Court to pull off yet another prank. Sort of. Robin and Ash have some bad blood between them, over a girl, and Ash has to pull off a caper which involves him entering the Summer Court. He can't get into the Summer Court without Robin's help and, you know, Robin's still kind of pissed over the whole 'you stole my girl' thing. The question is: Will Robin betray Ash to the Summer Queen out of revenge?

I don't tend to read novellas for the simple reason that when I'm immersed in a story, especially a fantasy, I kind of want to spend a lot of time there, and novellas tend to rip me out of my fantasy a little too soon. Despite that, I liked this one, and it gave me a taste of Julie's writing (great) and the world of the fey that she created (awesome). The relationship between Robin and Ash is tense, yet there's a part of you that likes both these characters and makes you want them to put all that bad blood behind them and work together. Fey are fickle and not all that nice (especially to mortals), yet this story shows a side to the fey that is more uplifting and just makes you like these characters all the more. This is the first book I've read of Julie's, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I definitely plan to go to book one of the Iron Fey series and read them all.

No comments: