My Book Rating System

My book rating system is based on 5 stars. The book must be rated at least 3 stars for a review.

3 Stars: Good story, good plot, good writing.

4 Stars: I was wowed, but something about the story fell short of perfection.

5 Stars: I was either drooling, on the edge of my seat, or falling in love.

If you would like me to review your book, please contact me at 00ibitz@charter.net.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Book Review: The Exorsistah: X Restored

The Exorsistah: X Restored
by Claudia Mair Burney

Emme, or X, is battle weary and a little out of sorts with her fiance, Francis, when they travel to New Orleans to see Emme's mother, whom Emme hasn't seen in 3 years. When they arrive in New Orleans, a ghost pops into Emme's view at the most unopportune times; she meets her mom's new man; and she's 'haunted' by a tasty guy, Jean-Paul, who anchors himself between Emme and Francis. It's enough to make Emme's head spin, and the battle isn't only between good and evil...the battle is also within Emme herself as she sorts out who she is and what she wants.

The writing is smooth and fluid, the dialogue is excellent, and the story fairly gripping once you hit the halfway point. I'm not a huge fan of reading scripture in my fiction, but that's a personal preference on my part and in no way detracts from the story. X Restored is the sequel to The Exorsistah, and I could pick up most of the backstory through seamless references throughout even though I haven't read the first title.

This story is more character driven than plot driven. It's about Emme healing and finding herself. Though she is an exorsist, there is only one exorsism, and that one not very exciting. The plot itself is rather loose: it's pretty apparent early on who the bad guy is, the hauntings are not very scary, and the reader is left questioning what happened to the ghost at the end, which is never explained. Overall, not much really happens in this story and the Grip-O-Meter is relatively flat, so if you are looking for an exciting read that'll keep you on the edge of your seat, this isn't the book you for you. If you are looking for a nice read with uplifting and motivational spiritual references, this is a must-read.

No comments: